Wednesday, March 16, 2011

home and such...

I have had a lot of jobs in my life, I've been a camp counselor, a telephone surveyor, a horseback trail guide, a Ben and Jerry's ice cream server, a hostess, an in-store product rep for HP, an intern at an engineering firm/construction company/bowling alley/etc, a peace corps volunteer, a general barn hand, a UPS driver helper, an AmeriCorps member at not one but 2 (well technically 3) different organizations, a sales person/cashier/internet sales/stock clerk/etc at DogDogCat, and a cashier at Grand Union, and more probably...sometimes its hard to remember them all.  I've lived a lot of places, VT, NY, Rosso and Selibaby Mauritania, Placerville and South Lake Tahoe, CA, and potentially now St. Thomas.  I've impulsively moved across the continent twice with little more than a few weeks notice, I signed up for Peace Corps without even really knowing where Mauritania was, and I've just signed an employment agreement to work at a hotel I've never been to, for a man I've never met, in a place I've never seen (but commmme onnnn, it's Saint Thomas and to be fair the guy is a friend of a friend so its not like he's a complete stranger...).  

The thing is, I'm considering a move that might be a little bit crazy, even by my standards...a solo move to the literal opposite side of the earth, for (up to, but very possibly less than, because of pesky weddings getting in my way...) one year in New Zealand (mostly, because as Andrew puts it, its beautiful there, thats where the lord of the rings was filmed and that movie was downright gorgeous) and possibly Australia as well.  This one might take a little more planning...with the young person's visa I can't work any one job for more than 3 months so internships and such will have to be worked out ahead of time, as will the visa.  I wouldn't go until probably late November, 2011 and I have no idea when I would come back, but thats not really important right now, because now is the present and in the present i'm 59 days away from my flight to Florida and just over 60 away from St. Thomas and thats just unreal.  I quite literally cannot wait.  I'm ready to get on a plane now.  Seriously.  Does anyone want to come?  Go early? just see the sites and such?  I'm free tomorrow.  Lets do this.  

Speaking of tomorrow, and my serious attention deficit disorder apparently, Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  There's another place I have always wanted to go - Ireland.  Maybe I can sneak that into the travel itinerary for the 2012 season...only time will tell.  Well time, but also (mostly) finances.  So to celebrate one of my favorite holidays I will be dancing my butt off with my dear friend Holly at the only bar in this teeny tiny town, where people will undoubtedly recognize me as that super awesome cashier girl from the GU...jealous? Why don't you join me.  I dare you, friends in NY and VT alike.  Make the drive, I can't promise Johnson is worth it, but I'll do my best to make sure that I bake something that is!  Plus you get to see my numba one gal - Miss Josey!  Ain't she a cutie?

This is her "I hate you Shelby" face.  Precious!

 and shes such a lady too!

Okay kiddos, gooooood night and such.  New updates to come as the mood strikes.  Peace, Love, and Ice Cream!|


No comments:

Post a Comment