Saturday, October 24, 2009

This is for you Aunt Jen (and you too Mom!)

Hola! Here I am, in Syracuse waiting for my lovely friend to wake from her slumber (ah the joys of being an early riser in your early 20's, out till 2am last night and up at 7:30 this morning while my friend sleeps until 10:30 like a normal human should) so I checked my email and found that people are actually reading this thing, and whats more they want me to write more! So here it is folks...a long awaited update!

As is probably clear by now I am on the first half of a road trip to visit all those kind souls who went out of their way to visit me when I was home in spring because I guilted them all into seeing me with claims that I would not be on American soil again until this time NEXT year...oops. I started with a night in Plattsburgh to see Jen off before her Vagas vacation and to paint a lampshade with pink glitter glue and doodle kittens all over it with Jill. Next I headed to Albany where I had a yummy lunch with Becky (from RPI, I know its hard to keep track of all the Becca's and Becky's in my life) then back on the road to Syracuse where I delivered the silly lampshade to its new owner, Miss Meaghan Gallagher. I stayed last night here and will stay tonight too and then its onward, to Buffalo then Cleveland, and then to be perfectly honest with you, I have not planned the rest...I'll get to it though, life is more interesting with a little spontaneity!

While on this trip I have put the job hunting portion of my life on hold, so as not to get burnt out, because even without my spectacular excel sheet that keeps it all in order for me I know that my rate of applications has peaked and begun falling, I know that I have still applied to only about 35 jobs (only...HA!) with about 20 separately drafted cover letters and several different edits of my resume, and I know that I have still had only 2 phone interviews with any potential, but its been a bit long since I've heard from either of them too...

SO INSTEAD I'm working on networking myself, because I think this is the most important thing I can do at this point in time. I have shared my story with hundreds of trail riders who got lucky enough to be stuck with me as a guide resulting in lots of fabulous advice, reassuring words, and one business card for a company hiring in my field (yes, I did apply). I have handed out resumes to complete strangers (albeit very nice complete strangers) at Irish Fest who just happened to own an environmental engineering firm in Troy, where I went to school. I sent copies of my resume to my grandmothers cousin who's son-in-law works in the environmental field and has generously offered to help me out. I went to RPI alumni weekend and discussed this whole unemployed thing with other members of my graduating class (many of whom are sadly, also unemployed).

So here I go, off on the road, to meet people at other schools, in other fields, and generally share the love. Wish me luck!

And as always, if you hear of anything you send it my way, or if you know someone who knows someone who works in environmental anything and might be willing to help me, send me an address (email or snail mail) and I'll send them the limited-time-only-special-edition-get-shelby-a-job-fun-kit! AND if you or someone you know gets me a job, I will bake you (and your friend) something absolutely decadent and delicious!

2 comments:

  1. This is from a new opening for Menlo Park, CA
    Jessica (former Mauritania PCV) Farley's aunt is an engineer the

    701 LAUREL STREET, MENLO PARK, CA 94025-3483
    www.menlopark.org



    INTERNSHIP FOR ENGINEERING SERVICES DIVISION


    POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Engineering Services Division and Municipal Water Department of the Menlo Park Public Works Department is seeking engineering student interns to support its infrastructure maintenance, capital improvement and municipal water supply programs. Hours of work are flexible and can be designed around course work requirements.

    The positions will provide support to Water and Engineering staff. Typical tasks may include:

    • Water distribution system engineering including water quality sampling, testing, data transfer and analysis (may involve handling small quantities of chemicals/reagents); report writing; database management

    • Plan review and possible analysis of grading and drainage plans and hydrology reports for compliance with City Standards and stormwater pollution prevention requirements

    • Inspection and reporting of stormwater pollution prevention measures to assure compliance with State water quality regulations

    • Capital Improvement project site investigation, design, drafting, specification preparation, and estimating

    • Assist with construction management and inspection for City projects

    • Use of AutoCAD, ARC-GIS, and other software to support city infrastructure and design projects

    Training and supervision will be provided by journey level engineers. Questions about the assignments should be directed to Matt Oscamou, Senior Civil Engineer, or Virginia Parks, Interim Senior Civil Engineer, at (650) 330-6740 (mboscamou@menlopark.org or vkfparks@menlopark.org).

    MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

    Education & Experience: Applicants must be working toward a bachelors or masters degree in civil or environmental engineering at an accredited institution. Two years of college level course work is preferred. Please do not apply if you are not in, or working toward entrance into, a civil or environmental engineering program.

    Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Ideal candidates will be able to:
    • Collect and analyze data and formulate solutions to problems
    • Perform independently when clear direction is provided
    • Work in a team environment and have good interpersonal skills
    • Have good oral and written communication skills
    • Have basic spreadsheet, database and CAD computer skills
    • Ability to write basic reports and correspondence

    SELECTION PROCESS: Individuals wishing to be considered must submit a cover letter, resume, and a copy of their most recent college transcript by 10/29/2009 to:

    Lisa Ekers, Engineering Services Manager
    City of Menlo Park, Department of Public Works
    701 Laurel Street, Menlo Park, CA 94025
    laekers@menlopark.org

    SUBMITTAL DEADLINE: 10/29/2009
    re.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not working toward a degree, and the deadline has already passed, but i'm sending a resume anyway. thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete