Monday, April 5, 2010

spinach and feta pockets!


The other day at the grocery store, I was inspired by a dish my grandma had made me before I came out here (spinach and feta in puff pastry) and what Melissa made last weekend (olive taupenade and herbed goat cheese in filo dough) and I bought spinach, feta, and some filo dough.  I had a bunch of other bits and pieces left over from the veggie lasagna I made last week and this afternoon I just kinda made these up as I went along, and they came out pretty tasty!  Heres a rough guestimate of the recipe:
  • About 1/2 bag of Raw Spinach, torn up
  • About half a can spinach (you can use all fresh, I just had canned left over from lasagna)
  • Tub of crumbled feta
  • A handful of diced sweet onion
  • Seasoning to taste (I used salt, pepper, parsley, and a dash of nutmeg, cuz thats all i have)
  • Filo dough, thawed
  • Melted butter
Start by tearing up the spinach, and stirring it together with the feta, canned spinach, onion, and seasonings (i added a bit of fresh grated parmesean too, another lasagna leftover) and let it sit for a bit so the spinach starts to wilt, add more if it looks necessary.  Lay out a single sheet of filo, paint half of it with melted butter and fold in  half.  Paint the top of the sheet with butter too, spoon a bit of the feta mixture onto the end of the doubled filo and fold the filo around it like a flag.  Bake them on a cookie sheet at 375 for 10-15 minutes, until the filo is browned and the center is warmed through, and gently sizzling.  Now enjoy, but be careful cuz they're hot!
Yummmmm!

Photos Posted: 111
Days Left: 254

No comments:

Post a Comment