Sunday, September 27, 2009

Update!

Ok so I don't have much new information for you folks, but I had such wonderful feedback from my first post that I thought I would write up another one because lets face it, I'm unemployed so what else do I have to do?

First I want to respond to Russel and Dody, who gave me my first job suggestion. Thank you for making one! I did actually look into becoming a police officer and I read this: "you'll experience the realities of life at their best and worst" and I'm sad to say that was rather a deterrent. Something about seeing the worst realities of life offended the serial optimist in me, I already saw some pretty low lows working with starving babies in Africa and i'm not sure i'm ready to jump right into another semi-depressing job. Plus I'm not sure I have the self control not to pull over every self-righteous upper middle class dink cruising around in a huge empty hummer drinking their starbucks and bragging to their friends about how "green" they are because they got it in a cup made from recycled baby seals or...well...you know the type. So sadly, even though I promised I would apply to any job, I must go back on my word and say instead almost any job.

In other news, my interview for the AmeriCorps position that I want is coming up, on Tuesday. I really can't wait to see what comes of this, its one of the 30 opportunities that I have applied for that still seems like a great idea, I'll get to live somewhere new (the Sierra Nevada!), experience a different working culture(non-profit sector), and its only a one year commitment so it'll buy me some time to find a full-time-career-type-big-kid-job that I really want and like and can't wait to go to every day(possibly even get me a shoe in with some places where I might like to do that), which I think will be worth the wait! Plus its kind of like Peace Corps again except almost everyone will speak English, I'm fairly confident I won't get evacuated, I heard its camel spider free, and I won't have to cover my hair and shoulders and put on a long skirt just to leave the house.

So wish me luck, and send me any other job suggestions you have...I'm rather hoping the suggestions I get from my friends and family will be a little better than those emailed to me weekly by careerbuilder.com, who seem convinced that my best possible match in all of Vermont is being a pizza delivery girl for any one of pizza hut's Vermont locations.

Weeks I've been home: 6
Jobs I've applied to: 30
Offers for interviews/etc: 1

oh boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment